Authorized by the Canadian Government, Work in Canada is a program that allows American College and University students to travel and work in Canada for up to 12 months.
From you application process to your arrival in Canada, SWAP, through our network of travel offices in the U.S. will provide you with ongoing support and assistance to ensure your working holiday experience is a success.
To register for the Work in Canada program please contact any of the offices listed here.
Eligiblity - The Following is required of each participant
- U.S. citizen [Must provide copy of valid U.S. passport]
- Aged 18 to 30 upon entry to Canada.
- Cannot be married, unless the spouse is individually eligible and also participating in the Work in Canada program. No parents with dependent children are permitted.
- Clean criminal record
- Currently enrolled student or recent graduate of full time studies at a US College or University. You choose the date you wish to enter Canada within your eligibility period and book your own travel accordingly. Spring 2013 student status will permit entry up to 15th February 2014. Fall 2013 student status permits entry up until August 15th, 2014.
- All participants must have medical insurance with Medical Expenses, Personal Accident, and Repatriation of Remains up to $25,000.00 USD (this can be purchased through FROSCH Student Travel when you register)
- All participants must have a minimum if $1200 USD in support funds available. Support funds are not paid to anyone, but rather is the minimum you need to have in your account as a safety net.
- A 12 month employment authorization which allows you to legally work anywhere in Canada at any job other than in health-care, child-care and the teaching of children under 16.
- Flexible choice of arrival dates into Canada
- Pre-departure support from FROSCH Student Travel, our exclusive US partner and SWAP
- Online pre-departure guide book
- A expert arrival orientation, including fast-track to the Canadian version of Social Security card
- SWAP offices in Vancouver and Toronto providing job and accommodation listings, free internet and computer facilities, telephones and mail services. Please note that our Montreal office is closed, so the hosting centre and orientations are no longer available in Montreal
- Friendly SWAP staff to assist with any questions and concerns you may have
- Emergency support and counseling available throughout your SWAP Canada adventure
- SWAP social activities including team sports, pub nights and excursions
- Travel arrangements made through FROSCH Student Travel
- Discounted, comprehensive worldwide travel insurance available at FROSCH Student Travel
How to Register