South Africa Volunteer At A Glance
Eligibility: 18-35 years of age. No student status required
Registration Deadline: Click here for orientation dates and registration deadlines - 2013
Repeat Participation: Yes
Visa Duration: Three-month tourist visa issued on arrival
$1,700 Community Development
Support Funds: $2,000. What are support funds?
A three-month tourist South African volunteer visa issued on arrival. No work visa required.
- One night accommodation at a hostel in Cape Town upon arrival for orientation
- Accommodation with host family throughout the project's duration
- All meals with host family are included
- Pre-placement in a two-month development project. Click here for project information.
- Airport pick-up services to hostel in Cape Town
- A comprehensive orientation hosted by our South African partners, SASTS, in Cape Town
- Transport to the host family after orientation
- Hosting centre is equipped with phone, fax machine, internet and computer access
- SASTS provides ongoing guidance and support services throughout the full duration of your stay
- After-hours emergency line
- Mail-drop address in Cape Town
- Social events
- Our expert SWAP materials: Welcome and Final Kits to assist with trip preparation
- Lonely Planet South Africa travel guide
- Placement and host family information
How to Register
Registrations for the Volunteer South Africa program are processed at SWAP head office and are not accepted at Travel CUTS/Voyages Campus offices. Please note that there are fixed arrival dates for all South Africa programs.
Include the following documents as part of your registration
- Read "Volunteer South Africa At a Glance" eligibility information to ensure you meet all the requirements.
- Print off the 2012 SWAP Volunteer South Africa Registration Pack. Read the Terms and Conditions on the last page.
- Once you understand and accept the Terms and Conditions, complete the SWAP Volunteer South Africa Registration Pack. Don't forget to sign and date the Terms and Conditions form.
- Send your completed Registration Pack and the supplementary documents outlined below to SWAP at:
SWAP Working Holidays
187 College St., 2nd floor
Toronto, Ontario M5T 1P7
Attn: Volunteer South Africa Coordinator
- Shortly after the receipt of your Registration Pack at SWAP, you will be contacted by the Volunteer South Africa coordinator to complete a phone interview.
SWAP APPLICATION CHECKLIST
Include the following documents as part of your application:
- SWAP Volunteer South Africa Registration Pack
- One copy of your typed resume outlining your past work, volunteer and travel experience. Ensure to include a list of your hobbies and personal skills
- Attach a motivational letter to your resume describing your past volunteer work and travel experiences, and why you would like to take part in this program
- Two typed letters of reference- one from a past employer/teacher and one from a close friend of the family (keep the originals for your records). You may choose to use the standard SWAP reference form available here or you can direct your referees to this form to print and fill out.
- Program deposit of $1,000 made payable to SWAP Working Holidays by certified cheque or money order
- Police Clearance Letter, that includes a search on prior convictions and a Vulnerable Sector search
- Proof of support funds indicating that you have at least $2,000 CAD
- One passport photo
- Language Evaluation Form - complete this form only if English is not your first language
- Photocopy of your Canadian Passport picture page (passport must be signed and valid for at least one year from date of departure)